Wine and dine at the Read more [...]
Footsteps of our Ancestors
Nitmiluk Tours and the Jawoyn people offer an Education Program for secondary schools that provide students a remarkable, and life changing cultural immersion program. The program is designed to inspire personal insights, ask students to question what it is to be an Indigenous Australian and expose them to the world‘s oldest living culture.
The Jawoyn people still place significant importance on their ancient traditions and culture, and tourism has become a way for them to teach and carry on the legacy of their ancestors to the next generation.
The “Footsteps of our Ancestors” program is unique as it encompasses the lifestyle, culture and tradition of the Jawoyn people. It is the only program of its kind that uses interactive activities to emulate a typical day for the traditional Jawoyn people.
Through this program we aim to:
- Promote positive aspects of Indigenous culture.
- Provide employment and training for remote communities.
- Promote understanding through shared experience.
- Preserve a living history.
- Challenge understanding of Indigenous Australians.
- Maintain cultural integrity.
- Promote opportunities, ownership and pride for new generations