Golden Drop Winery is Read more [...]
Barron Gorge Hydro-Power Station
Barron Gorge Hydro-Power Station was Australia’s first underground power station, built in 1935 to harness the immense power of water flowing over Barron Falls. Construction of Tinaroo Dam, a weir at Kuranda and a larger, more recent hydro-electric power station, have significantly reduced the water volume over the falls.
To reach the station, walk or drive 3 km along the scenic Barron Gorge Road from Lake Placid to the picnic area and cross the bridge.
Barron Gorge Hydro http://www.stanwell.com/energy-assets/our-power-stations/hydro/
Barron Gorge Hydro is located 20km north-west of Cairns. It sources water from the Barron River to produce electricity, before releasing the water back into the river.
In 2011, a $28 million refurbishment of the Barron Gorge Hydro was completed, extending the power station’s life for another 40 years and ensuring Far North Queensland continues to benefit from secure and environmentally responsible energy.
Barron Gorge Hydro sources water from the Barron River to produce electricity before releasing the water back into the river. Kuranda Weir acts as a regulating pool for the hydro. If required, additional water can be obtained from Tinaroo Dam on the Atherton Tablelands.